Concussion can occur in the process of many physical activities, whether they are conducted for leisure or for a wage, whether an amateur or a pro. A concussion is a traumatic injury to the brain caused by a sudden acceleration, rotation or shaking of the head. This causes a forward and backward motion of the brain inside the skull.
Processes and functions of the brain are temporarily compromised and the patient may feel confused, show impaired coordination, balance or speech, and may experience memory loss for some time. A patient may also lose consciousness due to a concussion. Other, early indicative symptoms are headache, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness.
It is important to note that symptoms may not appear directly after the injury is contracted, they may be delayed for several days before they are noticed. Recovery from a concussion requires several days, yet repeated concussion may have lasting impact. Physical and mental rest, until symptoms have subsided, is key to recovering from this injury. Only a gradual return to activity is recommended, darting too fast into physical exertion may bring symptoms back.
Homeopathic remedies may support the recovery from concussion. The following remedies may be helpful in relieving the symptomatology:
Arnica, Belladonna, Glonoinum, Cocculus, Hypericum, Ledum, Nat.mur., Nux vom., Rhus tox., Spigelia
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (2016) Concussion, Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/ (Accessed: June 2016).
- Boericke, W. (2004) Pocket manual of homeopathic materia medica and repertory New Delhi: B.Jain publishers Ltd.
- Clarke, J. (1994) A Dictionary of practical materia medica New Delhi: B.Jain publishers Ltd.
- Morgan, Lyle (1988) Homeopathic treatment of Sports Injuries, Rochester: Healing Arts Press.
- Walker, Brad (2007) The Anatomy of Sports Injuries, Chichester: Lotus publishing.